Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Little More Aloha

I just have to mention my last post, which was a stupid post, was my 200th post! A little anniversary to enjoy.

I was just going through some old files on my computer and tossing things in the trash. We're doing housecleaning and I figured I could do a little computer cleaning, too. While doing said cleaning, I came across a document that was our guide to the place we stayed in Kauai.

It made my heart hurt.

I miss using the words lanai, aloha, mahalo. I miss sounding out the street names. I miss tree tunnels and mountains and white sandy beaches. And while I don't miss wedding planning--and am relieved to have it over—I do miss the anticipation of jetting off to my beloved Hawaii. Everyone likes to have a trip looming in the future, right?

Whenever I get stressed out, I usually come around to thinking about how running away to Hawaii would feel good. Except I'd still have to get oil changes and buy stamps (a lot more of them, come to think of it) in Hawaii. I'd REALLY be on a budget. And I'd have heat rash pretty much all the time. So I know that this isn't a reasonable avenue of thinking, but I've only been home about two months and already I'm itching to go back. (So jealous, Wan!)

it isn't that I'm unhappy or even experiencing a drought of good weather here. It's just that I wouldn't mind a little more aloha.

Our minister told us the day we married that because we chose the beautiful island of Maui, that we are ohana with him, with Hawaii. Hawaii is officially one of our homes, a place with family, a place that will be filled with special memories for both of us, forever.







I miss you, Hawaii.

7 comments:

dapotato said...

it's nice to have a few places away from home that feel like home. :)

Marissa said...

i can totally understand how you're feeling. especially in that you planned so long, and the anticipation was so great, and it goes by so quickly. but i love the minister's assertion that hawaii will always be home. maybe on your 1-year, you should go back and celebrate...then you'll have something else to begin to plan and look forward to?

Nanette said...

I hear ya. I sooo want to go back to Hawaii...and Italy...and...

Nanette said...

Oh, and happy 200th post!

Cheryl said...

Happy 200th! I think it's great to have a place you can call home, especially if that place is Hawaii! And given the life changing event that took place there, well it makes sense. Anniversary next year...

R said...

Hawaii has that magic pull that seems to have every visitor falling in love with it. I miss a lot of places and, after just passing my 2nd anniversary, Aruba is on that list for many of the same reasons. Except instead of "aloha" its "bon bini".

wan said...

i miss hawaii every day. it's a special place for many reasons!

just remember - aloha oe - not goodbye, but "till we meet again." i vote for making it a tradition to celebrate your anniversary in hawaii!

happy 200th :)