Why do I think this? Well, today I watched a brilliant sunset from my office window, and it was...5:25. Yeah! The sun didn't set until after 5 today and the light lingered, in a way that it only does when the days start to get a little longer. On our shortest days, it's like it sinks immediately. I felt better driving home tonight.
But.
That could have also been the awesome (blue-state-heavy) events that took place today. Like Wan, I think future generations will ask us where we were on the day we inaugurated the first black president.
I was at work, but we had canceled our meetings and camped out in our conference room, where we have a projection screen. We ate doughnuts and laughed and cried as we watched the events unfold. I loved in particular the very human moments--the oath getting messed up, the Reverend Lowery, who resembled a Muppet, but moved me to tears nonetheless, the Obama children taking pictures and giving thumbs-up to their dad. The multicultural awareness without being overbearing--come on, Aretha, Yitzhak, Yo-Yo--it was like, hey, we're all here. We all want this. It doesn't matter if we're white, black, Asian, Christian, Jewish, or our middle name is Hussein. Those things have never mattered much to me, but I think it's a great model for people to see, who aren't quite so educated or open-minded. (Rick Warren being the sole bad call, in my mind.)
I was moved by all the people on the Mall, maybe not united in every approach, but united in wanting a better future for this country, agreeing that this man is the best person to lead us out of this quagmire.
I am proud that I was part of this. I'm proud that if I have children, it will no longer be a strange or exceptionally moving for them to elect someone other than an old white guy into our highest office. I want it to be normal. I hope that the same will be true for a woman, by the time they turn 18.
I hope, too, that future presidents take a key from Obama. His class, his style, his complete refusal to give in to the shit-talking that happens so often with politics. It's going to pull him through the pressure of being the first black president, the pressure of trying to right what's been so deeply wrong for eight years. It's a big job.
I just saw parts of Beyonce's interview, given after she sang "At Last" for the Obamas. her complete lack of PR touched me. She cried, she rambled, she didn't have a pat answer ready. She said she feels like this was fated to happen. She said, "He makes me want to be smarter. He makes me want to be more involved. And I am here! And I am singing! And I am overwhelmed!" And I cried.
Because he makes us want to be a better generation. He makes us want to be better people. Not by telling us so, but by leading by example. Today a lot of people felt very invested in wanting to be here. We are all singing.
Did you hear that, future hypothetical children? Today we are singing, because in this really dark winter, we finally feel like we've elected the people's representative. And for the first time in eight long, awful years, we feel like we have a fighting chance.
9 comments:
Great post! And for the record, on my drive home from work today, while talking on the phone with my mom, I literally yelled out "holy $hit! it's still light out!". Yeah, I'm smooth like that.
It was a great sunset though. Lovin it!
Do you read my friend Winnie's blog? She moved to D.C. and went to the inauguration today. I think you'd like her photos. You can link to her through one of her comments on my blog. :)
Nicely said. I couldn't agree more, either. The Obamas have class - that's just it. And not rich-person class, but a respectable, been-there-done-that-worked-hard-for-it relateable-type of class.
I just want people to remember he can't change the world in a day, and maybe not even in four years. It's going to take a long time to bounce back and get back on track, but at least he'll start the ball rolling. We need to be supportive of our president and help him, not sit back and wait for things to change.
Again, I'm sorry you have a touch of the blues. But this was a really great post about the importance of yesterday and the next four (eight?) years. And hopefully beyond. Well done friend!
Wow. This post brought tears to my eyes. It just reiterates the importance of yesterday. And I totally agree with A. on the Obama's sense of class.
Beautiful words, great message, KD. I couldn't agree more.
fantastic post. Beautifully written.
I want to copy this blog and paste it to mine. I feel like you are writing my feelings and thoughts...only much better than I can.
your post was written so much more eloquently than my rambly one.
i must share this: i was so angry tonight at dinner with the hub's grandparents (they're super conservative, staunch republicans). we asked if they'd watched the inauguration, and grampa's answer was "no, no. it wasn't worth my time."
i just wanted to scream. and i was proud of the hub, who is also a conservative republican and did not vote for obama, because he paused for a nanosecond before saying "but it was still an incredibly historic event."
gramps just shrugged, and i was still screaming inside. i love the man so, but UGH!
oh, and i totally cried when beyonce cried, too. i'm such a sap - seeing other people cry ALWAYS makes me follow suit.
Post a Comment