Oh, God. I had a terrible realization today. Looking for a job is exactly like . . . dating. Some people are really great at dating and love it and its challenges and, for them, the ups give a thrill, and the downs can be drowned with a few glasses of wine.
I was never good at dating. Really. Boys didn't even like me. I have had like three boyfriends my whole life. Dating was essentially a disaster. Likewise, my career life. Not that people don't like me, but I never really did a lot of interviewing around. I had internships, which grew into jobs, which . . . well . . . now we're broken up. I'm a serial monogamist, I guess. (Of course, the concept of dating will be ending in less than sixty days!)
So now I've been sending out inquiries into freelance positions and I'll be writing pitch letters and all that kind of freelancy stuff. Sending emails, calling out, leaving messages and waiting for return messages to arrive from the great abyss. It's already started. I make a phone call. Do I take a shower? What if someone calls while I am in the shower? What about Molly? I think she has to go out, but what if I miss the ever-important ding with a bold-faced, new email? I know my cover letter wasn't the greatest one ever written, but it was pretty good . . . I wish they could see me for me! If they knew me, they'd know I'd be a valuable asset! Did I just use the term valuable asset. OH GOD. Now they think I'm cocky, and nothing could be further from the truth. Hmmm, I might have an offer. Do I bring up salary or do I let them pay? What do we say to wrap up the end of the night?
See what I'm saying? The lines between dating and employment are quickly getting blurry.
And at the end of the day, I do want something and someone that I'm in love with, that I can spend time with and be creative with, and can pour all my energy into. I am a good writer, a good editor (hey, I've won spelling bees!), and a pretty creative person. I can write quickly, on deadline, and with some panache. I work hard and I know when to ask questions and what to ask. But I don't want to look desperate. Good thing they can't see me checking my email or picking up my phone for the eleventy millionth time.
Edited to add: I also rock at vocabulary! Freerice.com has nothin' on me.
6 comments:
WOW! That's so me! Only in the world of dating. UGH! Your job hunt is like my, uh...dating life. In the end, it's all about being yourself and hopefully they give you enough of a chance to see just how wonderful and amazing you are. That's all we can hope for. That our greatness is seen. You're worth the time, and it shouldn't take long for someone to see the great attributes you have to contribute. (and if a cute boy happens to be your new co-worker...well, talk me up a bit...just kidding, kinda).
We all hit road bumps...and this just happens to be yours for the moment...moment is the keyword. It will pass, and soon you will be able to look back and laugh (Geez I should start taking my own advice in terms of my lack-there-of dating life!! ...less than 60 days for me to FIND A DATE?! YIKES!!)
Oh do I hear you well! Story of my life. At least know you are totally normal and NOT alone. And yes -- dating and searching for the RIGHT job are unbelievably similar!
i feel you. i am exactly the same way. dating-wise (glad that's over!) and work-wise (sad that will probably never be over).
good luck. sending job vibes your way.
Well, sounds like you picked a pretty good guy to date for the rest of your life. I have full faith that you'll be just as good at courting a job. ;)
Yeah, back when I was going to job interviews I was like...y'know, I don't care how many interviews I have, I just want one good that will get me a job. With dating it was the same - I only really wanted the one date that would get me a boy. Both suck.
Post a Comment