i was downsized today. i am no longer employed, after being a magazine editor for four years (and a newspaper editor for 1). i was one of a few during the first round of cutbacks.
pretty much sucks to get laid off TWO MONTHS before your wedding.
i'm numb and panicking at the same time.
freelance work? i'm your woman.
21 comments:
i just got your chat message from earlier! no fun at all. what bad timing, too. i am sure you will land on your feet, though. you are smart and talented! call me if you need to chat.
so sorry to hear. sending lots of freelance and new job vibes your way.
oh crap! that totally bites. ::hugs::
oh my goodness!! ugh, that is awful. i'm sending good job-finding thoughts your way. . .
Wow...what ace-holes! They don't know what they're missing out on...OBVIOUSLY!
!!!
Hang in there, dear. I am also sending good vibes.
Sorry about the downsizing! That's a bummer.
Oh my god, that's the worst feeling ever. My heart just sank for you. But maybe this is the nudge you needed. Or maybe you want to slap me in the face because you do not need to hear that shit right now!
Either way, I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Those bastards!! It's their loss. On the bright side, now you are free to pursue your dreams (write your children's books!) You're a talented writer, you're a hard worker, and you're a smart girl, so I have faith that things will work out for you. I'll let you know if I hear of anything. (In the meantime, would you consider a p-t job at a retail store for a little extra cash? I have friends working at both J.Crew & B.Rep who could put in a word for you)
oh no! :(
I have my fingers crossed for you.
That is no good :( I'm sorry. We are having crazy lay-offs at my company too. I think the publishing world is having a rough time. Good luck finding freelance work!
Oh Katie, I'm so sorry. I know how much you loved your job, and the timing is terrible. But look at it this way, you rock, you have so much experience and you will find something else. Trust me. Something better is out there waiting for you. I was laid off from the Sun in 2005 and it was NOT the end of the world. Hang in there...HUGS
Hang in there, Katie. You'll bounce back.
Oh that sucks Katie! I just saw your comment on Miranda and Scott's blog. Down with Msp magazine! If you are looking to freelance, Elance is pretty good for finding work. http://www.elance.com/p/landing/provider.html
Good luck!
Thanks, everyone. This is quite the process. I need all the help I can get! including encouraging words. And thanks, Mehnaz, for the link. :) I don't think I have your email address or I'd write you back personally.
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear all of this!
If you haven't already heard about guru.com, check it out. It's a place for freelancers to try to get assignments.
Really sorry to hear that. This economy is giving me night sweats. You probably already saw this, but Greenspring has a posting for an assistant editor:
http://www.greenspring.com/employment.html
Good luck- I know you'll land on your feet!
i'm so, so sorry :( bastids.
lots of happy new job vibes coming your way from me, too. you'll be fine, m'dear, i just know it!
Oh no!! i'm with doaleigh on this in that my heart totally sank for you.
If I needed freelance work, I'd definitely hire you!
and I'm feeling a little nervous about my current job stability given the state of the stock market.
i am so sorry this happened to you. but honestly, i think it will prove to be a blessing in disguise. it will open the door for something you truly love & want to enter into your life!! scour mediabistro.com and ed2010.com and head over to freelancewriting.com and sunoasis.com and guru.com and even craigslist.
Whoa! So not expecting to read that. I'm sorry!! I'm sure this will open a door for you somewhere else. Maybe it's a good thing to give you some time off to really soak up the wedding goodness. ;) Just trying to be positive. :)
Post a Comment