Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran Memories/New York New York




I've written about Veterans' Day before, and I feel like I've said enough about that. At least for now.

I have another memory associated with Veterans' Day, too.

Four years ago, my then-boyfriend of sixish months asked me to go to New York City with him to visit some of his friends from grad school. (They have long since become like family to me.)

We planned the trip on Veterans' Day weekend. It wasn't the smartest idea we've ever had. Half the places we wanted to tour were closed on government holiday. But we had a wonderful time anyway.



We went to see the public library, but instead found a gigantic Veterans' Day parade. I don't have any digital photos of how many soldiers marched for peace that day. The U.S. had already been in the Middle East and Afghanistan for four-ish years. Many held signs that said things like "Veterans for Peace" and things about jailing President Bush.



We had so much fun, we almost missed our flight. Have I ever told you THAT story, dear readers?

My hair is flying in this photo, not because it was windy but because we were RUNNING to get on the subway to get back to our friend Jimmy's apartment, to get to the subway again to get to the airport. And we were supposed to be AT the airport at this point.



This is one of my all-time favorite photos, taken by our friend Lee.



Our relationship was still so new at that point. And I was head-over-heels, hopelessly, madly in love. Already. And I still am. And always will be.

In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do, now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York
New York, New York
—"Empire State of Mind," Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys

6 comments:

weezermonkey said...

I *love* "Empire State of Mind," and I love that black and white photo, too.

A. said...

I want to go someday. Someday.

CMS said...

I had so much fun in New York when I went to my best friend Tonya's Central Park wedding (one of four guests invited to the intimate ceremony).
Your photos are all so cute!! I love it when my friends marry the "right" person. Your married bliss comes through in your posts. :)
And, totally unrelated, is your hair naturally curly? If so, I never knew ... and I'm JEALOUS.

doahleigh said...

So frickin' cute. And also, can I just say your ass looks nice in the last pic. Couldn't help but notice. :)

William said...

You should have posted the cute pics from Central Park. They are my only memories of your 3 day coat.

mmmm magnolia cupcakes, Katz pastrami, scrazy she-man uber-talented artist person...

Good times!

I heart NY
(but hate the Yankees)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.