"I'm getting laid off today. I just know it."
Like all friends would, she said something along the lines of "You're paranoid. Don't worry about it."
3:30 rolled around and my stomach flipped over. My editor led me into a back room, where the HR person was waiting. I sat down, heart pounding, but resigned to the inevitable. It was the economy, they were very sorry, now here's your forms to sign.
I had about a half hour to collect my things and clean out my desk. Not a lot of time. I hadn't driven that day, so I couldn't carry everything home. They couriered my things to me. I'm sure it cost them a fortune.
I worked hard the years I was there. I worked 24-hour shifts, teeth unbrushed, still in my Monday clothes when staffers filtered in at 7 on Tuesday. Seven times in one month. Not to mention the regular 12- and 14-hour shifts in between. Lesson learned? Never work a 24-hour shift again, let alone many 24-hour shifts. It won't save your job.
The economy had already shifted enough that my layoff was not a surprise with job market in general. And there had been some meetings that had led me to believe layoffs were coming, so I wasn't totally surprised. But man, the timing was good as it could be in the situation. It was at the beginning of this seeming freefall. In hindsight, the wedding did distract me (when I wasn't crying over how I was going to pay for it), and I really got out early. Journalists all over this town have been purged from the newsrooms . . . it makes me worry for the future of journalism, especially in such important times to have good journalism.
The continuing frustration is my two-year noncompete, which is enforced even though I was let go. Today, I've served a year.
In that time, I have been able to strengthen my resolve to see the positives, working on becoming financially savvy, finding a new job, thinking about goals and dreams, learning about me, and even strengthening my relationship with William.
When I woke up the morning after, I had a good cry. Then I laid there, thinking, god, what the hell am I gonna do? A little part of me—which grew over time—thought, "You never know where you'll end up."
12 comments:
Hmm. That is a pretty harsh noncompete.
And a year from now could be totally different than today. (for the better, I'm sure.)
I know, I can never believe a noncompete can be that harsh when you've been let go. Seems so wrong!
On the flip side, how are you liking your current job? And, in as much detail as you care to (or not to) share, what's the nature of your work?
Isn't that true? Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes a bad. But we always make it. You are doing so beautifully.
i love this post because it shows hope, growth and optimism even in the toughest of experiences. you didn't let it break you. you used being laid off as an opportunity to grow personally and professionally. that's awesome.
In the last year you've totally rocked it. I'm sure the next year will be the same.
Nice post, KD. What a difference a year makes, huh?!? I think you should write another post about your visit to the unemployment office. I still remember meeting you for lunch (with A) and how shocked I was to hear of their insensitivity. Jerks.
i really hope that you find yourself much, much happier today than a year ago. i still can't believe it's been that long - we've been "friends" for over a year now?? :)
I remember when you blogged about getting laid off and how my heart sank for you (especially since you were in the midst of wedding planning).
But I have to say - not only does it seem like you've bounced back, you seem happier and stronger!
I just hope that if/when that happens to me, I can maintain a positive outlook! I'll look to you for inspiration!
how is that noncompete legal?!? i'd stick judge judy on those jerks.
OMG that noncompete thing is the AWFULEST. Unfair! It should be a rule that if they let you go, you can break that part of the contract immediately.
You guys all rock. Thank you for the love and support! I promise to be back in the blogging saddle soon.
Post a Comment