I come to you, my blog friends, with a serious problem.
Don't laugh.
Bath and Body Works is discontinuing my favorite scent.
I am so FLIPPING mad. First of all, I had NO idea. NO ONE from the company let me know that hey—our most popular scent, you know, the ONE YOU ALWAYS WEAR, the one your HUSBAND loves even—yeah, that's going away. No, NO—I learned the hard way, like when someone doesn't tell you the bad news because they don't want to break it to you and then you find out some roundabout way and you're mad that someone PULLED THE WOOL this whole time and if only someone had TOLD YOU you could have DONE SOMEthing.
The other day, I got an email from B&BW, and it was some Columbus Day sale (I don't understand this sale time at all, but I'll take it.) I went to see if my beloved Brown Sugar & Fig was on sale. Imagine my delight! $5 a bottle for the body cream! I click happily...to find some icky red text proclaiming, "Fond Farewell". I blinked. I pulled the cartoon double take. I could hear Looney Tunes sound effects echoing around me. This cannot be! I hit refresh a couple times. Oh yes, it's true. Discontinued, and oh--sold out online.
Oh, the sadness. Oh, the humanity! How can they do this to me?
My brown sugar & fig obsession started a couple years ago, as a gift from my mom. I had been sick a lot and had a little medical scare, and I think she knew I was feeling pretty down and out. She brought home for me one day a tub of the BS&F butter. I immediately was in love....the warmth, the fruity, the musk, the light hint of coconut. Ever since, the only times I've really strayed were for my former job (where I was a beauty editor)--testing lotions, and if I got a special gift, which was rare (no one ever really buys me beauty stuff since I have a ton as it is).
I've been wearing it as long as William and I have been together. To him, that is what I smell like. So when i sent him a sad, ranty email the other morning, he responded with a sincere, "OH NO! That is the best smell!" Scent is strongly linked to memory. Its like closing a chapter in my life! My mom responded kindly by giving me a bottle she had stashed away in her closet.
But COME ON. I am so sad. Stupid discontinued products!!!!!! I should add that B&BW also discontinued one of the best lavender scents on the market too. Sad day.
I have to say, I actually did yell, "Stupid discontinued products!" as I typed it. Molly came over, put her paw on my heart, and snuggled in. Oh, my dog. She knows the pain in my heart.
13 comments:
UGH! I know your pain. My favorite lipstick was discontinued but I can still find it on eBay. It sucks, though.
discontinued products make me soooo sad and it's always the favorites that go :( I hope you got as much as you could. Like Elaine with the sponges on Seinfeld...
Oh no! I don't really get attached to scents, but I imagine having your favorite discontinued would be like if they suddenly stopped selling my very favorite Jockey no-panytline underwear. I'd cry!
Run to the store and buy the place out. Maybe if I see any in my local B&BW I'll stock up for you too!
I know. They discontinued my beloved Pearberry years ago. HOWEVER, every single time they have a sale, they bust out the "discontinued items" and there are buckets full. I've found it SO many times. I have a MAJOR stash of body spray and lotion. You just have to check the stores whenever you pass it, and they'll have it out sometimes.
I agree with Sarah. I loved sun-ripened raspberry, which they cut four years ago. But they bring it back every year during their semi-annual sales (late Dec and early June). You can almost always find the discontinued scents and they are cheaper than normal. So don't lose faith yet!
As somebody who detests Bath & Body Works, I think this is a great opportunity for you to upgrade.
No, seriously. This is a very good thing. That place is gross. :P
WeeMo: I know it's gross. but I love that smell. I don't shop there otherwise.
i am so sad for you. this is like when duncan hines stopped making mississippi mud brownie mix. it's fudgy brownie with gooey marshmallow cream drizzled on top, and it was just so damn good.
i know, i could just use regular brownie mix and plain ol' fluff, but it's not the same. IT'S. NOT. THE. SAME.
[crying at the out-of-control craving for brownies that no longer exist]
I am sad for you! I know the feeling...they've discontinued a few of my favorites in the past. Honestly, it's a huge reason why I stopped shopping there for a while. I figured "What's the point? They'll just stop making it eventually anyway." I buy some things here and there, but it's just not the same.
That is so frustrating!!!! I would be so upset too. Smells really are linked to memory and have the propensity to shift your entire mood. Thank goodness for Molly! :)
Brown Sugar & Fig is my absolute favorite. I'm really pissed that they're getting rid of this scent. I understand that things change but I'm not sure anything can replace the scent of the Brown Sugar & Fig wallflower. I'm sad.
I am SOOO with you on that. It's devastating when companies discontinue your favorite scent. And it makes you want answers!
Maybe if you get enough people to write to B&BW, they'll reconsider? I'll happily write them for ya!
In the meantime, stock up!!
perhaps this is a sign that you should buy the koi sunglasses.
Post a Comment