so, i work in the magazine industry. and i LOVE magazines. i can't get enough of them.
the first magazine that i remember truly loving was seventeen. my sister got me a subscription for christmas after hearing that i had been buying it on the newsstand. i think i might have been in junior high. sassy soon followed, and that became my favorite magazine. it was so fresh and smart. it wasn't all about getting a boyfriend and ditzy stuff. i remember one beauty article that made an impression on me--it was all about how much the editor loved cherry chapstick. they interviewed kurt cobain. this was my kind of world.
i have had other subscriptions along the way that have come and gone; mother jones comes to mind, the atlantic monthly. interview. spin.
now we have a schizophrenic collection of magazines coming to the loft every month: blueprint, metropolis, metropolitan home, details, espn, blueprint, entertainment weekly, glamour (after jane folded, i got the remainder of my subscription to glamour), elle decor. i buy instyle on the newsstand a lot; i buy bitch and bust on the newsstand although i should subscribe (did you know the magazines a larger percentage of money from a subscription, which is cheaper, than they do from newsstand sales?). i used to get the new yorker, which i love, but couldn't afford the renewal. i buy marie claire on the newsstand when it looks interesting or pertinent to something at my job. i get brides and modern bride, and i buy elegant bride on the newsstand, although those will go away after the wedding. don't worry. i plan to replace those with something else. . . perhaps real simple or body+soul, the new yorker again finally or domino. somewhere along the line, i got on some kind of mailing list where is tarted getting really cheap deals to subscriptions, so i just got one in the mail for a $12 national geographic. that's a good deal. i just also got marie claire, two years for $10, so i'll probably get that one too. they way i figure it, that's like buying three magazines off the newsstand, which i'd be likely to do over the next year or so, so it's worth it to me.
sometimes i dream about writing for national magazines. . . i don't know if it will ever happen on daily basis, but it'd be pretty sweet to see my name on national pages.
when i see a magazine stand (oh! the airport ones are my favorites!), my heart really starts to race. i love to see the new ideas, the old ideas repackaged into new ones, fashion spreads, beauty pages, feature stories i can devour. when one comes to our mailbox, i practically run upstairs and tune out the rest of the world while i escape into my little magazine-land. it's a living vicariously, a learning experience, a little escapism for me. i love to see things in magazines and make it happen for me without spending $1,000 on a dior dress. (of course, i'd love it even more if i could get the dior dress, but i can't imagine my lifestyle will NEVER be one where that's possible.)
last night i was at my brother's girlfriend's birthday party, where she introduced to me to her friends. her way of introduction for one friend was, "you have to meet each other because you remind me of each other. . .and you're both super stylish." i was really flattered. i love style but i always feel my wallet falls short of really being able to wear what i want (and that's not the couture stuff, it's like i'm always $80 short of what i REALLY want.) i know what my style would be if i could afford it; i see it all the time. milly is my favorite designer. but i work on buying classic pieces in nontrendy colors and hope i never get sick of black. anyway, i take a lot of cues from magazine stuff. . . sometimes it's a wide latitude though, i'm hardly a slave to trends. what i really love is 1950s and 1960s fashion. ah, i was born in the wrong decade!
anyway, i'm totally getting off-topic, and extreme home makeover (a.k.a. my weekly cathartic cry) is almost on. . . so off i go. but tell me, what are your favorite magazines?
9 comments:
omg i love you! I have always had a crazy obsession with magazines. Except I finally subscribed to all my favorite ones and it comes to the point where I dont even read half of them anymore! As much as newstand ones are more expensive- odds are there's a better chance you'll actually read it!
Rolling Stone, Spin, Entertainment Weekly, and Us Weekly.
I used to read The New Yorker and The Atlantic. Sometimes I would even read The Economist.
Nowadays, magazines only serve one purpose for me -- mindless fluff for relaxation.
while i wrote about my house-magazine "issue" in my blog this weekend, i neglected to mention that i get other magazines too.
feminist: bitch and ms. i'm totally into ms. these days since they started covering world issues so fabulously well.
music: paste. i'm a little annoyed by the fact that it's almost-all-white-guys almost-all-the-time, but i get a CD with new (to me) music every month. i usually end up blowing my emusic.com subscription on things i've read about in paste.
USA Hockey. :) don't be surprised. i generally like the magazine for what it is (perk of membership in USA Hockey, which i must have if i'm to play) but they SUCK on consistent coverage of women's and girls' teams.
American Libraries, College & Research Libraries, C&RL News. i get these through my membership in the american library association. some months i read them, some not.
in the airports i've purchased Good magazine a few times and enjoyed it. at amy's folks i read national geographic and random sailing magazines. at my parents' i read mpls./st. paul, minnesota monthly, and sunset.
LOVE LOVE LOVE magazines!!!
during wedding planning, it was martha stewart weddings, los angeles weddings, inside weddings, and grace ormonde's expensive tome.
for workish stuff, interior design, metropolis (the best written by far), dwell, architectural record, wallpaper*, how.
for pleasure/fluff, instyle, entertainment weekly, people, real simple, cooking light.
i used to read the new yorker, many many moons ago.
At our house we get Entertainment Weekly, Esquire, Tango, Scientific American, Popular Science, Motor Trend, Sports Illustrated, Spin and Wired.
I used to get Bitch, but then my thoughts started parting from theirs and I wasn't enjoying it as much.
I used to get The New Yorker, but then that's all I had time to read - I didn't have time to read other magazines, or books even!
I would love to get a home magazine of some sort, such as Domino. I also receive several magazines through work that I read as well - perk of being in the biz.
I get Elle at work...just because we got a sweet deal on the subscription. But i'm not much of a magazine-junkie. It's so fun to listen to your gusto and excitement surrounding magazines! You have certainly found your niche in life. I'm certain given the chance, you would be an amazing nation-magazine contributor. xoxo
I cannot live without US Weekly and People. It is a total guilty pleasure. Luckily, my Mom is a subscriber, so I don't have pay. :)
I buy Marie Claire or Vogue if it looks interesting.
I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly and Cooking Light.
Brent and I used to get about a dozen different magazines between the two of us, but I've let some of them run out. I just couldn't get through them fast enough!
my list of subscriptions is embarrassing.
us, people, star, in style, glamour, allure, martha stewart living, every day with rachael ray, parenting, child, lucky, the little martha stewart everyday food magazine, real simple. the hub gets maxim, wine spectator, cigar something-or-other, and architectural digest. and the kid gets seventeen and teen vogue.
yup. we kill a lot of trees, it seems.
Post a Comment