So it's past the middle of September, and the sun is setting just after 7 p.m....I can feel it's getting darker earlier and earlier.
Yet the weather is still hovering around 80 degrees and the rain that was promised today didn't come.
It's weather limbo, people, and as glad as I am for the long stretch of beautiful, sunny days, I know we will be socked upside the head sooner or later with cooler weather. And my internal fashion clock says it's time to be wearing cords and long cardigans.
Please don't mistake this as a longing for fall weather. I am a summer baby through and through—I love the sunshine, swimming and fishing at the lake, skirts every day, and fresh flowers and homegrown veggies.
Fall, to me, always seems like a time to make decisions, make plans, get organized. Although I have nothing to really make decisions about right now, either, but some of the leaves are changing color--sumac are turning red (and have been up north for some time), and some trees are sporting some yellow highlights. I'm all confused!
The clocks are just all off!
Weekend update:
Yesterday, Wm and I went for a boat ride with his parents. It was a warm day, but with a crisp wind out over the lake. We cruised around and ate roast beef wraps and string cheese. A bass fishing tournament was underway, and people were waterskiing and wakeboarding, creating fun waves for us to bounce over. I believe I got my last (mild) sunburn of the summer.
Saturday I went to the Twins game, and they beat the Tigers in an exciting late-season matchup. It'll be the last game I see in the 'Dome, so I did let myself have a drink of 'Dome Coke (I don't know why, it just is the best Coke in the world) and we had Dome Dogs. Outdoor baseball is great when the weather is great, but I have my reservations about the new park opening up in Minneapolis. I'd love to go see a Gopher football game at the new stadium on campus though!
Friday I went to visit a dear friend who is hanging out at the hospital due to an early labor. Let's everyone send some collective "hang in there, babies!" (yes, "babies," plural) to help them stay put!
I have also been noticing a lot of spelling errors lately. I wish I'd had a camera for them so I could post them here. The other day I was driving down the freeway next to a Head Start bus. On the side was painted "For Offical Use Only." Really? I can only hope the person who painted that on isn't the same person that's teaching the alphabet. This made me irrationally angry; this is why the world needs copy editors!
Um, and that's about it for now. There's no good exit out of this train wreck.
8 comments:
Offical use is better than pubic office. ;)
Aaron and I were at the Twins game Saturday, too! I wish I would've known you were going ... we could've met up between innings!!
I will send positive "just stay put already" vibes to your friend who's having twins.
Oh, and I totally hear ya about the weather. While I love that we had a long stretch of 80 degree days in September, I also know that the inevitable is just around the corner. And how can we mentally prepare for fall when we're "looking California and feeling Minnesota?"
Oh Katie, how I hate those misspelled words too. Must be our innate sense of letter and word order. My favorite lately: a man complaining about a woman's obvious hair die job. Do ya think he wanted her bald? mommy
Oh fall, you make me sad. As an isolated incident, I love fall. The apple orchards and the leaves and the crispness in the air. But mostly fall spells the impending doom of winter. Oh how I loathe winter! And therefore I can never enjoy fall.
ha! that spelling part reminded me of the snickers commercial where they guy says 'Looks great.. but who are the CHEFS?'
ugh, i'm already missing the warm weather from summer too. and its all downhill now! :)
Does anyone else think that it's awesome that your mom commented on your blog—and even more awesome that she signed it "mommy?"
Fatty: Yes and Yes. And also awesome that you sign my blog as Fatty.
and "offal" use wouldn't be great, either.
i am always laughing at typos and spelling/grammatical errors on signs and other public sights.
Post a Comment