Because we're all feeling a little down, or at least feeling the effects of what's going on (plus some seasonal affective disorder for those of us in northern climes), I thought I'd post a list of songs that make me unbelievably happy, no matter what. Sometimes you just need some dance-around-the-living-room tunes.
Disclaimer: These aren't necessarily posted in the way that I would put them on a mix CD, just a random list. And there are some guilty pleasures on here. You know you have some too.
Disclaimer 2: I'm missing some songs, inevitably, and I lost this post once already, so I'm probably missing even more.
Superstition, Stevie Wonder
What I Like About You, The Romantics
Supernatural Superserious, R.E.M.
Anything You Want, Roy Orbison
Anything by the Traveling Wilburys
You Wreck Me, Tom Petty
Everlong, Foo Fighters
Shake Shake, The Subways
Raspberry Beret, Prince
Billie Jean, Michael Jackson
Da Funk, Daft Punk
I Want You Back or ABC, Jackson 5
Ignition, R. Kelly (I know)
Hey Ya!, Outkast
Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
Seether, Veruca Salt
Oxford Comma, Vampire Weekend
Fat Bottomed Girls, Queen
Mysterious Ways, U2
Crater Lake, Liz Phair
Interstate Love Song, Stone Temple Pilots
Spiderwebs, No Doubt
Son of a Preacher Man, Dusty Springfield
The Way We Get By, Spoon
I Like It, I Love It, Tim McGraw
The Twist, Chubby Checker
Find the River, R.E.M.
Rave On, Buddy Holly
Freedom 90, George Michael
My Favourite Game, The Cardigans
Sweet Child O Mine, Guns 'n' Roses
Today, Smashing Pumpkins
Cecilia, Simon & Garfunkel
Sedated, The Ramones
Disturbia, Rihanna
SexyBack, Justin Timberlake
Since U Been Gone, Kelly Clarkson
Mach 5, The Presidents of the United States of America
To Be With You, Mr. Big
Pump It Up, Elvis Costello
Green Onions, Booker T & the M.G.s
Rising Sign, Mike Doughty
Like a Prayer, Madonna
Jealousy, Liz Phair
Jackson, Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash
99 Problems, Jay-Z
Sunshine of your Love, Cream
Maneater, Hall & Oates
If I Run, Semisonic
Suspicious Minds, Elvis
Electrolite, R.E.M.
Pretty much anything by the Pixies
Funny how a lot of my thinky favorite songs don't make it on here...just the ones that make me want to dance, mostly, or make me feel like the world's OK.
Your turn: What are your faves?
13 comments:
Very happy to see Vampire Weekend on the list! :)
I will second you on the Raspberry Beret, and raise you an Ace of Base. Wait? What? No Ace of Base? Damn.
Speaking of the Pixies, I found the set list from the Pixies show in 2004 that we saw at Roy Wilkins in the nose-bleeds. I'm going to need to borrow some of your Pixies CDs to complete the playlist for the ipod...
On a more important note, there are rumblings of a new Doves album this year. Really.
What an awesome post idea! I'd have to add a few of my fav's:
Neal Diamond - Sweet Caroline
Anything by Justin Timberlake or NSYNC (yup, I just shared that tid bit)
Sublime - Santeria
Cake - I Will Survive
Tim McGraw - Tiny Dancer (for some reason it gives me a more upbeat feeling about life than the elton john version...sue me!)
Nelly Furtato - $hit on the Radio
...my additions are a bit different...such is ME! :)
1. Where is that Enrique song you, Pam and Cindy used to dance around your living room, too? ;)
2. My hubby loves you for your pick of Today.
3. Oh, Tim McGraw. You are my Tim-concert-going partner! I miss that!
ok, you know this is hard for me...let's see if I can come up with a reasonable sampling:
1) Rainy Day, Jayhawks (which I purposely listened to this am)
2) Let's Go Crazy, Prince
3) Since U Been Gone, Kelly Clarkson
4) Sing, Travis
5) Islands in the Sun, Weezer
*Hey, I actually knew all of the singers for all of those songs! I rock, I mean...I Roll. : )
What a GREAT idea for a blog post, KD. I think I heard a lot of those songs at your reception! Here are my "sunny day" songs:
These are Days - 10,000 Maniacs (reminds me of college)
Hey Ya - Outkast
Long Time Gone - Dixie Chicks
Signs - Snoop Dogg featuring JT
It Takes Two - Rob Base
Every Little Step - Bobby Brown
Amber - 311
So Whatcha' Want - Beastie Boys
Singing in My Sleep - Semisonic
Man in the Mirror - MJ
Walkin' on Sunshine - Katrina & the Waves
Streetcorner Symphony - Rob Thomas
Crush - Dave Matthews Band
All Star - Smash Mouth
(I've Had) The Time of my Life - Dirty Dancing soundtrack
Let Me Clear My Throat - DJ Kool
Little Red Corvette - Prince
Living in the Moment - Mason Jennings
We Are Family - Sister Sledge
Isn't she Lovely - Stevie Wonder
Alcohol - Bare Naked Ladies
Closer to Free - BoDeans
I think my list is long enough!!!
Nice list! I love Cecilia, Ignition, and Fat Bottomed Girls - they would all be on my list. Also on mine:
- I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers
- Galway Girl by Mundy
- Accidentally In Love by Counting Crows (also a total guilty pleasure song!)
(i think blogger ate my comment, hopefully this doesn't post twice!)
I also can't help loving R. Kelly's ignition, even if it feels shameful. and i LOVE that you have Jackson and 99 Problems right next to each other, they're so different but two of my favorites as well.
Kodachrome by Paul Simon
Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes
La-Ti-Da by the Icicles
Rudie Can't Fail by The Clash
Send Me on My Way bu Rusted Root
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da by the Beatles
I'll leave it at that. Or do my own post on this!
I love this list!! It really makes me want to put all these songs on a cd and have a dance party here in my office.
i like it. i love it. i want some more of it.
I love that you have Maneater on your list!! Great song!
And oy - what songs make me happy? So so many...
We Built this City - Starship
Caribbean Queen - Billy Ocean
Footloose - Kenny Loggins
It Must be Love - Madness
Basically - anything that has a good memory affiliated with it. And mostly pop songs from the 80s.
September. You can't be mad or sad if you are listening to September by Earth, Wind and Fire
Post a Comment