Sunday, September 28, 2008

Stomachaches, an FAQ

I have had them for as long as I can remember.

There's no pattern. It goes in phases. There seem to be no specific triggers, and I'm pretty much an expert on my own stomach, thanks.
No, it doesn't seem to be carbs, although I avoid some of them, like pasta, because that does seem to sometimes, but not always, make it worse.
No, I am most definitely not lactose intolerant.
Yes, I have tried every single over-the-counter stomach aid out there.
Yes, some of them I put in my car, my purse, my desk at work, everywhere I can think of, because I'm honestly afraid of having some kind of attack when I'm out.
Yes, I change my routines in case my stomach revolts.
Yes, I go home early or stay home altogether because of it sometimes.
No, I'm not very adventurous in my lifestyle as a result. You wouldn't be, either. Trust me. (Although I love all kinds of food and deeply indulge when I'm feeling good.)
Yes, I've just started taking yoga.
Yes, I'm considering acupuncture to see if it helps.
Yes, I sleep as much as I can/should.
Yes, stress seems to play a factor, but doesn't seem to be the only thing.

I have been home all weekend, quarantined because of intestine-twisting, blinding, intermittent cramps and the fact that every time something, anything goes in my mouth, I pay the price. I'm hungry and I'm frustrated and I'm crabby and I JUST WANT THIS TO STOP so I can be a NORMAL PERSON.

9 comments:

weezermonkey said...

:(

My friend Curly Fries and my mom both have IBS. Could it be that?

Kate said...

I was gonna say IBS, too. Lucky for you, Big Pharma has an solution! Oh wait, that was "withdrawn from the market." Not helpful, sorry.

Cheryl said...

Could you have IBS? Or, as I like to call it spastic colon. Cause that's a funny image to me. I have it, whatever you call it, and there is medicine...

Marissa said...

How frustrating! Yeah. I'm with everyone. Spastic colon or IBS as Cheryl mentioned.

Anonymous said...

No fun! I feel your pain, quite literally at times. :) I hope it goes away soon!

wan said...

this sucks. i'm sorry you have to deal with it.

(i have no words of advice or wisdom. just wanted you to know that i care)

Nanette said...

I have a sensitive stomach, but not nearly as severe as you do. I hope you find a remedy soon. :(

Anonymous said...

I get headaches all the time and as much as they suck, I can usually tolerate them. Give me one stomach ache and I'm down. Miserable. Total baby.

So I really hope you can figure out a solution because that is not fun at all.

R said...

Yep, Hubbs goes through that too and he has IBS. It's truly miserable and I feel for you. For Will too. It sucks to see your loved one suffer like that. You are the one that has to go through it though. Sucks worse for you.